Saturday, December 12, 2009

Spyder Co. Clipit Delica V8-10 Review

Spyder Co. has been in business since 1978 in Boulder Co. They have been known for their simple one-handed opening knives. What drew me to the knife was the ratio of weight to performance. This knife is extremely slim, only 0.3125" at it widest position on the handle and weights only 2.5 oz. The blade is a super-steel developed by the Japanese horticulture industry, and was manufactured in Seki-City, Japan. The blade features a serrated edge with a 1/4" fine tip. The handle is constructed of lightweight fiberglass, 2 steel rivets and one end screw. The construction of this knife makes is extremely light. It is barely noticeable in a shirt pocket. It was purchased from a small hiking supply store in Lynchburg Va. I paid roughly $75 for the knife.






After two years of regular use the blade is still in extremely well form, bearing only minor scratches. The blade still opens and closes fluidly and the lock is very responsive. I have had no issue with the joint becoming clogged with grease or dirt. The ergonomic design of the the handle is very comfortable. And the circle pattern carved out of the fiberglass provides adeqluent grip. While the handle is very light, I have had issue with its strength.


A few days after my purchase, I had the knife clipped in my pants pocket with the clip facing outward. As I sat in my car seat, the clip was caught in the seat belt. This stress caused the fiberglass molding around the screw (which tightens the clip) to crack. The knife still functions great, but I no longer trust the clip to keep the knife on me. Normally my knife is stowed in my backpack while i'm traveling and its not until we've reached camp for the night that I like to keep it on me.



In hindsight I would still have chosen a fiberglass handle rather than a traditional metal one because of the shear number of ounces you are able to shed. I'd recommend this knife to any outdoors minimalist that counts every ounce.

You can check out their site here:

http://www.spyderco.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment